Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Warm Reception


We found the right color. I was able to dig out a picture of a room from one of my previous homes. Alan matched the paint and found the right color. While the tone is still light and neutral, it is warm... just want I wanted. This was color pick #3. The picture on the left is of the mudroom. It is fully painted in the new color. The picture on the right shows the contrast between 1) the mudroom in the correct color (color #3) 2) the powder room in a darker color I selected 3) the kitchen in color #2.

Color #1 was the gray from yesterday (no longer visible). This morning I picked out two colors that I thought matched what Robin had initially picked. They were warm earth tones, tan to brown in nature. But once the went up... they looked gray also. So, I went home at lunch and pulled out the picture that got us to color #3. Alan was kind enough to stay here until I got home so that he could get my reaction to the mudroom. The moment I entered the room I knew that this was the color. We're set. The kitchen will be painted tomorrow.

If you're going to do any painting, I recommend that you purchase small sample sizes of the colors you want to test. Apply them to different walls; look at them during different times of day under different lighting. I should have done that but trusted the paint to turn out like the swatches. It didn't. So, save your self a little frustration and always put up samples. Benjamin Moore makes convenient 2 oz. samples that can aid you in finding the right color without the major expenditure of quart after quart of paint. For less than $20 you could purchase quite a few samples to test.

Two other big steps were taken at the house today:
1) The measurements for the counter tops were taken. This was being done when I got home for lunch.
2) The plumber came in and began the installation for the new in-ground sprinkler system we're installing.

No comments: